Water quality results HHD

mike.jones
Hi folks,

We are having some failures on water quality at home. We currently use gambro WRO hots and patients are advised to perform a ‘heat’ twice a week. Even when we have this set for automatic start we are finding water quality is above guidelines in some cases. We have tried chemical disinfectant with varying results. We now use chemical disinfectant 3 times a year.

Is there anything else I can do or is it time to bite the bullet and start replacing RO’s?

Maybe UV system. There are some for approx £100 that would be suitable.

Re: Water quality results HHD

Ian Wilde
Administrator
Hi Mike,

Where are you taking the sample from?
It could be your tubing, bottles, sample ports, technique, sterilization method for sample ports - there's a lot of variables.
If you stick a UV in your system be sure to have something further down stream to catch whatever it kills.

What other info do you have about your home setup?

Ian

Re: Water quality results HHD

mike.jones
Hi Ian,

Thanks for the response.
We sample from the RO, the tubing is the Gambro loop so no dead legs.
I think/hope we all sample with good technique but you never know.
We sterilise the sample point and the connector in 70% alcohol.

If I were to go down this route I would look at UV prior to RO with some further filtration in-inbetween.

What other info regarding our home setup were you thinking of.

KR

Mike

Re: Water quality results HHD

KevinJGibbs
Mike,

Do you have a sample port on your loop from the WRO?

We have fitted them to all our Gambro WRO' in the home and portable WRO's in the trust and we haven't had a failure for sometime now!

Regards

Kevin

Re: Water quality results HHD

mike.jones
Hi Kevin,

No we don’t have a sample port as such. We take the sample from the female connector by plugging in a male stub.
I will test your method tomorrow and see the difference in results.

Thanks for the idea.

P.s
What type of sample port do you use?

Re: Water quality results HHD

KevinJGibbs
Hi Mike,

We use the sample ports that are used on the Dialog+ machines and we've had these on for about 5 years without issue.

We change them every year during an annual service.

Regards

Kevin

Re: Water quality results HHD

Chris Bates
If fitting new sample ports doesn't work, do you think there might be large amounts of contamination in the pre-treatment ?
Anything after the carbon has no chlorine to reduce growth.
Over the years I have found a lot of colourless translucent jelly in RO inlet valves and tubes. Even had a couple of valves stop working due to gel blocking the bleed hole in the membrane.
Maybe replacing the hose and filter housings and replacing inlet valves would help??